A place to kick back, relax, talk, and to have a little fun

Blackout RP

Parzifal
    Parzifal

Blackout RP Empty Blackout RP

Post  Parzifal on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:19 am

Greetings, all. Parzifal here.

I am one of the two people who would be running a futuristic RP of sorts called Blackout.

Summary/Released information:

It is the year 3560, and Europe, America, China, and Japan remain technological superpowers of the world. In England, Artificial Intelligence is now outdated, replaced by NeuroAdvance telepathy chips, which allow people to control their entire electronic system mentally, and see things through special contacts. Their contender is the slightly old Opticals, various different brands of other chips that require a different sort of contacts to use, and don't have as many features. The two are not compatable under normal circumstances. NeuroAdvance owns most of the market. Though when an odd electrical pulse wipes out most of the network and NeuroAdvance technology, killing 90% of the country, England is plunged into a perpetual blackout.

Sety Massri is a fashion designer who survives the initial Blackout, and he is determined to solve the case. Using the little network remaining, he sends out a request for help from one Detective Valyark to help. But they're going to need help, and Sety knows this, so he sends out another request to any still alive who are interested in solving the mystery and the murder.

We would like to announce that applications are closed.

The RP is currently running, with five players.

Last edited by Parzifal on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:28 am; edited 3 times in total
    Parzifal
    Parzifal

Blackout RP Empty Application Process

Post  Parzifal on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:40 am

Because of the way this future world is constructed, we are requiring applications to join Blackout. Don't worry, we don't bite.

The process is simple: Fill out the application below for your character to the best of your ability. PM it to me on the forum, and either myself or my partner will PM you back with an approval, or things that need to be changed and why. Most of the reason for change will be because of a lack of continuity between the world and the character's history, so don't take it too personally.

And in case there are any artists out there, you can skip over the appearance section if you can provide us with a colored picture of your character. Preferably drawn by you.

Things to remember:
    This is a mystery RP, despite the setting, so it will be more logic and adventure based than fighting based. Keep that in mind for the characters. We don't need dull powerhouses in this particular RP.

This is a RP set in the year 3560AD. This means no iPods or Mp3 players. It's all in future technology.

Keep magic to a minimum. It's allowed, but we prefer something tech/future based, or we would have made this dungeons and dragons.

Because of the way the plot goes, there will be a player cap of six people, including myself and my partner. This means that four more people may apply. Once we have those four, applications will close.

Each player can control up to three Player characters. No more. We don't need too many people running around.

--

Edit:
    Application three has been accepted! Applications are closed!

--

If there's anything else, it shall be added. Applications closed!

---

Blackout Application:

Name:
    General appearance:
    Hair color:
    Hair length: Hairstyle:
    Equipment:
    Personality:

Anything special I should know about him or her?:

History:

Last edited by Parzifal on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:29 am; edited 2 times in total
    Parzifal
    Parzifal

Blackout RP Empty Re: Blackout RP

Post  Parzifal on Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:30 am

"Year 3560. Month 5. Day 13. Hour 13, Minute 26. Location, Liverpool, England. Current situation: Sety Massri is stuck in traffic while running errands for his employer, and is running exactly one hour, five minutes, and fifty three seconds late at the sound of the beep." Beep. "It is advised-"

"Sage, I know you're about as bored as a ten year outdated Artificial Intelligence can be, but PLEASE, for the love of the ancient legends of the Protestant Church of England, SHUT THE BLOODY HELL UP!"

"Command Acknowledged." A computerized voice replied.

Sety Massri sighed, and ran his hand through hair dyed blue and yellow. "...Alright, I'm sorry about that, do me a favor and send Oscar a message that I'm going to be late because I had to go across town to pick up the fabric he sent me to get."

"Acknowledged, and executing." The AI's voice went silent.

Sety shook his head. "Maybe it would be better if I just walked, it might be faster." The 26 year old male was about to tell his AI to activate his music when there was a loud screeching noise in his ear and he blacked out.

---

An unknown amount of time later, Sety awoke. He would be lying if he said he wasn't a light sleeper, but he wasn't awoken by any sort of sound. Rather... it was the lack of sound that woke him. Alert within seconds, Sety sat up in the driver's seat of his car. "What the-!?"

Nothing around him was moving, and he couldn't hear anything from where he was currently. Cautiously getting out of his car, he looked around once more. Did he hear a faint siren in the distance, or was he imaging things? He made his way from the middle of the road to the sidewalk, and nearly tripped.

"Bloody hell, what the-" Sety's eyes widened in horror at the bodies littering the ground. He bent down and checked the pulse on one of them. Dead. Another. Dead. Nearly all the bodies around him were devoid of life. And looking into the windows of some of the cars, he guessed some of them were dead as well. But if there were all deceased, why wasn't he?

A second quick once-over of each of the bodies yielded a clue. Each had the telltale electronics on the back of their necks that indicated the use of the latest NeuroAdvance software that came out last Christmas.

"NeuroAdvance.... is that why I'm alive?" Sety wondered aloud, before something struck him. He didn't know what system Oscar used. Which meant that he could be...! "OSCAR!"

The intern sprinted back across the city to try and make it to the shop, scared to bits that his friend was dead, much like the rest of the city.
    Evie
    Evie

Post  Evie on Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Meanwhile back on the street Oscar's shop was located, it was complete chaos. Cars were blaring their horns trying to get through the massive body count, others were in the road in hysterics as they held their deceased loved ones. At some point somebody had knocked on the front doors of his shop, however that was ten minutes ago and since then the place went undisturbed.

As all of this happened, Oscar was oblivious to the world around him as he was in a deep sleep. Whilst waiting for his late assistant to return he decided to take a nap, there was no point in trying to work without the right materials.
    A neat feature of the chip his brother gave him was the ability to sleep at any time undisturbed for a set amount of time. Because of this he was, aside from a steady rise and fall of his chest, practically comatose.

Aside from the sleeping Oscar, the only other noteworthy thing in the room with him was his kitten. Adelle was a small grey kitten with a fluffy coat that had to be groomed on a daily basis. She was sitting on her master's stomach, tail swishing from left to right as she kept an eye on what was going on outside.
    Parzifal
    Parzifal

Post  Parzifal on Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:13 pm

It took Sety near a half hour of sprinting through shortcuts and back alleyways to get to the shop. He spotted the much busier street in front of Oscar's house and his eyes widened in horror, though he had worries of his own to handle, so there was no time to stop. Cutting through another alley to the back entrance of the store, he scanned his hand on the employee entrance, but nothing happened.

"Oh, bollocks, don't tell me that there's a blackout at this time!" he tried scanning his hand again, then finally scowled, and smashed the back window with a large rock. It's not like the alarm would have sounded in a power outage anyway. After clearing away enough glass, he climbed through the window. He hissed as some glass still left cuts on his hand and scowled at the damage done to his outfit by the same material. "I'll have to fix that later."

Landing on the ground with a crunch of boots on glass, he made his way out of the first back room and to the other areas of the store before he found Oscar asleep.

"Oh no... Oscar... Wake up" He shook his friend's shoulder, hoping he was just asleep, but fearing the worst.
    Evie
    Evie

Post  Evie on Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:34 pm

As Sety started to shake Oscar, Adelle leaped off of his stomach and walked off elsewhere. For the next five minutes Oscar continued to lay still despite how much his body was being jostled. His jacket became stained with Sety's blood, and while that would normally send Oscar into a rage he continued to sleep.

Fortunately the timer he'd set finally reached zero, and just like that the fashion designer returned to the waking world. Oscar opened and closed his eyes several times, his one eye throbbed like mad from the contact he forgot to remove. "Oh good you're back, did you get my order?" He asked the younger man, still shaking the sleep from his vision.
    Parzifal
    Parzifal

Post  Parzifal on Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:38 pm

Sety immediatley breathed out a sigh of relief. "Oh, thank the Queen. You're alive. I could have sworn you used NeuroAdvance, so I thought you were dead!" Sety was speaking fairly quickly, which was a bit unlike him, though in his defense, he'd never been in a situation where everyone around him started dying with no excuse.
    Evie
    Evie

Post  Evie on Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:54 pm

It went without saying that Oscar was confused about Sety's behavior. He sat up fully and brushed off the other man's hand, revealing the blood stains and the injured hand along with it.

"Oh Jeez Sety, you are bleeding! vhat the hell happened to you? Vait hold that thought, I need to go fetch something to bandage you vith und clean up, you're dripping everywhere." It was now that Oscar was grateful to have invested in hard wood floors, but he didn't have much time to dwell on that as he leaped up from the bay window and disappeared into the bathroom.

No more than two minutes later he returned with a warm wet wash-cloth and was one suit coat less. "Here, take care of the mess und while I go and fetch the first aid kit, I better get an explanation for all this vhen I get back." And like that, he was gone again.
    Parzifal
    Parzifal

Post  Parzifal on Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:58 pm

Sety shrugged. "I could just use your method and sew myself up," He rolled his eyes, but started wiping up the blood with the washcloth.
    Evie
    Evie

Post  Evie on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:07 pm

"I'm going to pretend that the blood loss is saying that." He called back as he returned with a plastic purple first-aid kit. It was no secret that Oscar frequently hurt himself while he worked, it was an unfortunate side effect of not being able to feel if he was getting poked or cut or sewn into the fabric. All of which happened at least three times a week. He sat back on the extended ledge of the window, and dug through the kit for the proper supplies. "Vell come on now, I can't very vell bandage you up at this angle." Oscar remarked, patting the free amount of space next to him about as invitingly as someone like him could.
    Parzifal
    Parzifal

Post  Parzifal on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Sety finished cleaning up the blood with the washcloth before tossing it in the washer-dryer in the back. He sat back down in the window next to Oscar, as he grabbed a needle and thread with his undamaged hand to sew up the rips in his own jacket. Offering one hand to Oscar, he began repairing the bright yellow article of clothing.

"So, you wanted an explanation?"
    Evie
    Evie

Post  Evie on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:25 pm

"You vere gone for two and a half hours on a job that should have taken half an hour at most. I vould very much like to know vhat the hell is going on, yes." Oscar explained as a matter of fact, concentrating as he looked over Sety's hand. He made several 'tsk' noises as a closer look revealed small shards of glass embedded into the places that still slowly pooled with fresh blood. "These are going to have to come out, let me see if I have any tveezers." With that, he digged in his handy case again in search for some.
    Parzifal
    Parzifal

Post  Parzifal on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:32 pm

"You mean you didn't look out your window and see everyone DEAD?!" Sety seemed genuinely shocked. He took a deep breath before starting. "Okay, so first of all, I hit really bad traffic. While I was stuck in traffic, there was this weird screeching noise, and I blacked out. When I came to, everyone around me was dead. And when I checked, it looked like all of them used NeuroAdvance, and I remembered you had the wiring on the back of your neck too, so I raced back here on foot, tried to open the door, the electronic lock wouldn't open, so I smashed the window with a rock, climbed through, cut my hand on the glass, then went to wake you up, but I thought you were dead," Sety summarized as concisely as he could.
    Evie
    Evie

Post  Evie on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:42 pm

Oscar nearly dropped the tweezers in his hands. They slipped and evaded his grip like a lathered up bar of soap. When he steadied his hands, he looked over at Sety, out the window to see the ambulances draping sheets over the recently deceased, then back at Sety. All the while he had a look of disbelief, it was a lot to take in. However of all the things he could've addressed first, he spoke the first thing that came to mind.

"...Vait, you BROKE my vindow!? Vhat the hell posessed you to do something like that! vhy didn't you just, I don't know, ask the obsolete bastard to help you out!?" He exclaimed, said 'obsolete bastard' being S.A.G.E.
    Parzifal
    Parzifal

Post  Parzifal on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:49 pm

"Obsolete... SAGE! Blimey, I completely forgot about him!" Sety smacked himself in the forehead with his hand. "Activate AI Program!"

"Command Acknowledged." the AI's voice rang out from a small speaker in Sety's collar. "Thank you for activating the 5A-G3 Sound and General Electronics program. Now, can someone explain to me WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?" Sage sounded annoyed. "Why are you hurt, for one thing, and for another, how did I get deactivated in the first place?! Sety, you're the user, I blame you."

"Oscar did it!" Sety grinned.
    Evie
    Evie

Post  Evie on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:56 pm

"Vhat!? oh vhatever, basically England has gone to shit und I should apparently be dead. No biggie." He said in a manner that wasn't quite serious, however wasn't in a joking way either. "Und Sety agreed that the money it vill take to repair the vindow he broke is going to come out of his paycheck." That, however, was said with a hundred percent seriousness.
    Parzifal
    Parzifal

Post  Parzifal on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:01 pm

"Reasonable," Sage's voice spoke.

"What?! Ugh. Oh, fine."

"If I may make a suggestion? If I know my user- and I am pretty damn sure I do- I'll bet his inane curiosity and annoying desire to ask questions is killing him on the inside. I guess you want to figure out what happened, Sety?"

"Is it that obvious?"

"I do not believe I'm qualified to answer that, as I've been your program for twenty years. However, I believe it would be beneficial to hire a detective to find out what went wrong? Is that not reasonable?"
    Evie
    Evie

Post  Evie on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:35 pm

Oscar snorted, gingerly picking out the broken glass from Sety's hand. "Good luck vith that, for all ve know anyone who can help is dead. I mean you can try If you vant, I vont stop you, but i'd rather not deal vith some tightass Bullenschwein." As he finished taking he removed the last of any glass he could see and started to clean the cuts.

"Honestly, some of those higher-ups are insufferable at best." Speaking of insufferable people, Oscar suddenly thought about his brother's manager and company. No sooner had he thought that he suddenly was receiving a phone call. Without even needing to check who he answered.

"Salem is that you!? Oh thank Christ you're ok!" From the other end, anyone who wasn't on the phone could hear muffled hysterics and garbled apologies over something or another. Oscar sighed.

"Sa-Sale-Salem, calm down. Come on you have to verk vith me here--stop screeching in my ear Salem just--CALM THE FUCK DOWN FOR TWO SECONDS VERDAMMT!" He shouted, his voice echoing off the walls. His brother was reduced to weak whimpering. With a heavy, agitated sigh Oscar continued.

"OK. Look I know you're scared and everyone around you is probably dead--UH-UH DON'T START CRYING AGAIN--, Anyvey, i'm ok und Sety is vith me....no not dead you idiot!...Ok yeah sorry that vas uncalled for, anyvey You still have the key I gave you to my place right? Go there und vait for me, can you do that? Vunderbar....vait vhat do you mean you are still at the photoshoot? Oh, und one moment."

Oscar looked towards Sety, finished wrapping his hand, and started to walk away. "You take care of the detective thing or vhatever, I have a feeling i'm going to be on the phone for a vhile." With that, he unmuted himself and continued to talk to his distraught brother as he walked into his office. From behind the closed door a very frustrated "Vhat do you mean you don't vant to push his body out of the driver's seat? It's not like he can chauffeur you around anymore--ugh, stop crying you blubbering pansy..."

Last edited by Evie on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Parzifal
    Parzifal

Post  Parzifal on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:50 pm

Sety blinked and shook his head, a slight smile on his face. He hated to admit it, but on his end, the half of the call he could hear was a bit morbidly funny.

"Alright... Sage, do a search for some quality detectives and send out a message to them asking for help. I'd suggest Detective Hunter or Detective Valyark. Hunter may be dead, but I think Valyark is well known for being relatively low tech, so it's possible he doesn't use NeuroAdvance."

"Acknowledged. Executing."

"Also- forward a message to all contacts with a request for continue forwarding. Tell them to meet at Ramses's Mansion in Manchester if they want to help find out what happened."

""Ramses's Mansion?" Do they not need an address?"

"Ramses's Mansion is only the home of the most famous archeologist of our century. I think people will know where the house is. You can't really miss it."

"Executing. Messages sent."

"Let's just hope people are alive to receive it."
    WindNinja
    WindNinja

Post  WindNinja on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:09 am

A young woman was hiding in an alleyway. She was slowly making her way down the block, still in shock at the most recent turn of events and how quiet everything was. The silence was broken by another voice.

"Sergeant Larson! Come in, please!"

The woman noticed that the sound was coming from her watch. She pressed a button which opened a communication channel. She spoke in a quiet tone. "Larson here."
    "We're in a tight spot, Sergeant. So far, you're the only officer I've had any luck contacting."
    "I can't say I'm surprised. Everyone I've come across since this mess started is dead. I hope that at least a couple of the other officers are still alive."
    "I hope so too, Sergeant. We can't worry about that, though. We have something."
    "Really? What is it?"
    "A civilian forwarded a mass e-mail requesting help in figuring out this mystery. Since you are the only officer I could contact, I'd like you to investigate."
    "Alright. Does the e-mail give a specific location?"
    "Yes. Ramses's mansion."
    "Well, that's not too far away from my current location."
    "That makes things a bit easier, then. Just remember not to draw any undue attention to yourself. We may get people willing to help, but there is always the chance that someone might show up and try to hinder our efforts. Yours, especially."
    "So basically what you're saying is that letting everyone know I'm a police officer won't exactly help matters?"
    "I'm saying is that there is the possibility that there is a person or group that caused this. Police officers would be prime targets."
    "And since I'm the only one still in contact, we can't afford to lose any more."
    "Exactly."
    "Don't worry, I'll go undercover. That shouldn't be too difficult."
    "Alright. I'm counting on you, Larson."
    "Yes, sir. Larson out."

She turned the communication channel off. She then continued in the direction of the mansion. "This is turning out to be quite an intriguing case. I should be cautious and take things slowly."
    Parzifal
    Parzifal

Post  Parzifal on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:15 am

A half hour later, Sety was waiting at the door to Oscar's office, finishing repairs on his jacket.

"Oscar!" he called, when there was a break in the German, "We should get going, we have a headquarters! Is Salem okay?"
    Evie
    Evie

Post  Evie on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:30 am

Oscar looked up at Sety, he quickly cut off whatever Salem was saying on the other line. "Ach ja, ein zweiter bruder." With that, he put the call on hold again. "He vill be fine, shaken up, but fine. Strangely enough I remember him making a bigger deal out of the first time one of his pets died on him--Oh he hung up, he must have gotten to my place. Or is busy again vith picking up a dead body to scan a handprint at one of the gates to the main road, vhichever."
    Parzifal
    Parzifal

Post  Parzifal on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:33 am

"We should get going to the mansion. The streets aren't quite cleared yet, but I think if we used a smaller car, we should be able to get to Manchester fairly quickly... We WOULD have to run over people though. I left my car behind. You're German- you can drive fast, right?" Sety grinned at Oscar.
    Evie
    Evie

Post  Evie on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:45 am

"Vell of course I can, a lot faster than any of you overly-cautious brits--Oh vait you meant....ACH! Fuck you Sety!" He exclaimed, making a face that was a cross between a scowl and a pout. He reached behind himself and grabbed his car keys off the mounted key hook. "Ve are taking my car, i'm not leaving it here to be looted by some homeless person thank you very much."
    Parzifal
    Parzifal

Post  Parzifal on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:05 am

The intern chuckled. "Sir, yes, sir." He mock saluted.

---

With Oscar behind the wheel, the normal 30 minute car ride took only half that time, even with the body traffic. They arrived at a large mansion who's yard took up nearly a dozen acres of land.

"Well here we are again," Sety sighed, as Sage opened the front gate for them. "It's always SUCH a pleasure."

He walked up to the front door, and Sage used a key code to unlock it. "Dad! I'm home!"

There was a string of Egyptian curses and the sound of something heavy hitting the ground with a thud. Sety couldn't help but smile a bit. After a few minutes, there was the rapid tap of footsteps, and a black-haired Egyptian man in an overly bright yellow suit with blue accents walked out into the foyer. "Ah, you're home early! And you brought your friend, good! Fantastic timing, you can help me polish my skull collection!"

"Oh, so you dropped one of the SKULLS."

"NONSENSE, m'boy!" the tanned male smiled, slight crinkles appearing at the corners of his black-outlined eyes, before he took Oscar and Sety by the arms and pulled them into a large museum-like room lined in gold and velvet and mahogany.
    Evie
    Evie

Post  Evie on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:19 am

The entire car ride there Oscar had been skeptical of why they were driving to such a high-class neighborhood of Manchester. Half these houses were worth more than what he made in his entire life, why would someone as average as Sety know anyone who lived here? From the moment they stepped into the house and was suddenly being strung along by quite possibly one of the most famous men of the century it occurred to Oscar that all those times Sety casually mentioned Doctor Ramses Massuri being his father wasn't jokingly. For once, he was truly at a loss for words as he had a dumb expression of amazement stuck on his face.
    Parzifal
    Parzifal

Post  Parzifal on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:30 am

"Er, Dad-" Sety began, though he was interrupted by his overenthusiastic father.

"I have to thank you for bringing your friend, it makes things much easier on all of us!" Ramses beamed, handing each of them a cloth.

"DAD, I need to ask you for a favor!" Sety spoke over his father's rambling.

"Well, why didn't you say so before?"

"You dragged us off to your in-home museum, father."

"So I did!" The doctor spoke proudly. "And what a fantastic museum it is! My favorite discovery is still this iPod device..."

"DAD!" Sety interrupted his father before he could go off on a tangent again.

"Yes?" Ramses looked up from observing and pondering the small little metal rectangle.

The 26-year old youth took a deep breath before speaking. "Listen, I don't know if the news feed works, because it might not. I know you're pretty isolated here. But 90% of England is dead and we're using our house as a home base, is that okay?"

"....Sety please tell me that you're exaggerating." Ramses spoke after a moment.

"I wish I were." Sety was grim. His words rendered Dr. Massri speechless for a good minute.

"...Well then, first off, of course I'm alright with you using this is home base. But secondly, I would like an explanation as to why almost all of England's population suddenly keeled over."

"That's what we're trying to find out. I think it has something to do with the NeuroAdvance brain chips. Right, Oscar?"
    WindNinja
    WindNinja

Post  WindNinja on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:34 am

The sergeant walked the entire way and was now in the neighborhood of the mansion. "I'm getting close now. About time, too. This walking isn't making me feel any better, with the distance and the dead bodies." She was trying her best to ignore the sight of the bodies, though doing so with the smell was impossible.
    "Of all the times to wreck my car...Oh, well. At least I can use this extra time to come up with a plan," she said as she got closer to the mansion.
    Evie
    Evie

Post  Evie on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:39 am

The fashion designer nodded, without thinking about it he reached and rubbed the slightly raised pattern on the back of his neck. "That's right. Speaking of vich I still have yet to get an explanation as to vhy I'm not dead."
    Parzifal
    Parzifal

Post  Parzifal on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:41 am

"Do you want Sage to look at it?" Sety asked curiously as Ramses went back to his collection.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:08 pm